Situated in the erstwhile summer colonial capital, Northwood Cottage is a quaint heritage cottage, that takes you back in time. Built in 1916, the retreat is set amidst deodar trees, at a 20-minute drive away from the heart of... Read More
Situated in the erstwhile summer colonial capital, Northwood Cottage is a quaint heritage cottage, that takes you back in time. Built in 1916, the retreat is set amidst deodar trees, at a 20-minute drive away from the heart of Shimla.
The vintage furnishings, artifacts, and décor weave tales of time past. The stone exteriors and lattice windows, coupled with a homely inside and a cozy attic, make Northwood the setting for an Enid Blyton adventure.
Rediscover vintage luxury at Northwood Cottage.
Let us walk you through space.
• There are 3 bedrooms – 1 standard room on the ground floor and 2 suites (Green Room and Blue Room) on the first floor. Inside each of the suites, along with the main bedroom, there’s a dressing room.
• Heaters are provided in all rooms.
• All rooms have attached bathrooms.
• The Green Room has a flat-screen TV.
• Wi-Fi is available in all the rooms.
• All 3 rooms have king-size beds, while the dressing rooms in the suites have two single beds each.
• There are 3 attached bathrooms in the villa.
• The bathrooms are absolutely neat and tidy.
• All bathrooms have geysers, towels, and toiletries.
• The living room has Wi-Fi accessibility and a heater.
• It has seating arrangements for up to 12 people.
• There’s a glazed verandah on the ground floor with adequate seating space for guests.
• The kitchen is equipped with a refrigerator, oven, microwave, gas stove and water purifier.
• The kitchen is accessible to guests, who can prepare their own vegetarian or non-vegetarian meals.
• Guests can choose to order from the nearby restaurants.
• Crockery is available for 12 people.
• Breakfast is complimentary. Vegetarian options can be prepared based on the available menu.
• Dinner can be provided at an additional cost.* Vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals can be prepared, based on the available menu.
• Lunch is not provided.
• Guests can indulge in the local fare at nearby restaurants.
• Please inform us about your meal preferences well in advance so we are well prepared to serve you.
• We offer accommodation for your driver in a separate room, at an additional cost. A maximum of only 2 staff members is allowed to stay.
Within the property, guests can enjoy indoor games such as carrom, chess, Monopoly and Scrabble. They can head out to Chapslee School to enjoy invigorating games of basketball and football (after 3:30 PM), or visit the gym there, free of cost (after 3 PM). One can also head out to experience all that Shimla has to offer as the villa is located at a 20-minute drive from the heart of the city.
While we do promise you a welcoming home and a great stay, here are a few things we’d like to mention so as to ensure there are no unpleasant surprises later!
• The cottage is located in a gated community and has CCTV cameras in the outdoor sections of the property.
• Since the house is a heritage property, special care needs to be taken of the antique furniture and wallpapers.
• Loud music is not allowed after 10 PM.
• Smoking is not allowed inside the villa. However, you can smoke outdoors.
• Pets are not allowed.
The guests have access to the entire villa. The villa has a private entrance.
INTERACTION WITH GUESTS
The host is not present at the property but is always accessible via call or message. A trained and responsible caretaker is present at the property to resolve any concerns and help you have a perfect stay.
- Driver accommodation is available. Stay is priced at Rs. 250 per driver.
- Guest can use the kitchen at no additional charge.
- There is accommodation for two drivers at the property and the charge will be Rs 250/- per driver.
- Dinner can be served at the property and charges will be Rs 750/- per person
• The number of guests cannot exceed the count mentioned at the time of booking.
• ID proof is mandatory for each individual guest at the time of booking, and also upon arrival.
• Any breakage or damage of any items in the home will be charged at actuals.
• Any illegal activity, including the use of narcotics, prostitution, commercial activity, is strictly not permitted.
• The rental cost is exclusive of the refundable security deposit. We collect this additional amount before your stay - usually via a bank transfer - and refund the entire amount back to you after your stay, provided the number of guests does not increase and the check-out time is adhered to.
• Guests are earnestly requested to treat the home with care.
• All guests must be able to share valid ID proofs when asked. This could be at the time of booking, and also upon arrival.
• All foreign nationals must be able to share their passport and visa details prior to their stay.
• A refundable deposit will be collected before check-in. This entire amount is refunded within two working days, provided the total number of guests does not increase and the check-out time is adhered to. In case of any delays or other grievances, guests can reach out to [email protected] for assistance.
Swathed by cedar, rhododendron, fir and Himalayan oak trees, the state capital of Himachal Pradesh is one of the most popular hill stations of India. Basking in the grandeur of the British era with apparent influences in its architecture, Shimla charmed the British colonizers of the 19th century so much that they elevated the small township into the summer capital of an empire sprawling the sub-continent. Here, you can go for a nature walk, fishing, golfing, ice-skating, trekking, skiing, adventure sports and much more. Shop till you drop at The Mall and buy jewelry, embroidered shawls, and garments and take away souvenirs for your loved ones. Or take a trip to Tatta Pani, 55 kilometers from the main city, where you shall find hot sulfur springs that are believed to have medicinal value, located on the banks of river Satluj. Northwood Cottage is conveniently located close to all these adventures that this hill-station offers.
During your stay at Northwood Cottage, we personally recommend
• Nature walks around Shimla
• A fun game of basketball at the Chapslee courts
• A visit to Mall Road
• Distance from Chandigarh Airport – 127 km.
• Distance from Chandigarh Railway Station – 110 km.
• Distance from Bharari Bazaar – 750 km.
Taxis are not available for transportation within the area. Should you wish to drive down in your own car, a secured parking space for 3 cars is available at Northwood Cottage.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs):
In case the above description does not answer all your questions, below is a list of frequently asked questions to help answer any further doubts you may have.
What is the best way to reach the place?
The place is 127 km. away from Chandigarh Airport and 110 km. away from Chandigarh Railway Station We will be able to help you with more information on the location and how to get here once you have booked.
Can I drive all the way up to the entrance?
Yes - you can drive all the way up to the entrance.
Is parking available?
Yes - secured parking is available.
Is the place suitable for senior citizens, wheelchair users and / or others with mobility challenges?
Yes, there are rooms on the ground floor for senior citizens and people with mobility issues.
What group size/s is the place suitable for?
The place can be booked as an entire unit for 6 to 12 guests.
Is this stay part of a society or a standalone property?
The stay is a standalone property.
Is the villa suitable for a day picnic?
Yes, the place is great for day picnics. However, the cost to book would remain the same as it is for booking a stay.
Is it possible to host events here?
No, the place is not suitable for events.
Can Team Vista help me organize the event?
While we are unable to offer event planning services in this particular region, the host often offers to help. Please let us know of your requirements and we will let you know if that is something that can be catered to.
Can my driver/s and other personal staff be accommodated here?
Yes. We can offer accommodation for two male staff at an additional cost. The associated charge is Rs. 250 , per person excluding meals.
Can I bring a pet along?
Pets are usually not allowed here. However, you can put in a request for an exception, stating all relevant details. We love our furry friends and will try to accommodate your request if at all possible!
Can I reserve the place for a shoot?
While many of our partner homes do allow shoots, this place does not. Please consider applying the ‘Shoot Friendly’ filter to view all the options available for you.
Will there be any other guests besides my group and me?
No - if you book this listing, you and your group will have the entire space to yourselves!
Will we have staff to help us?
Yes, a trained and responsible caretaker is present to help you. Housekeeping will be taken care of. If you require any additional help, you can ask the caretaker, and they may charge a small fee for the same. If you are satisfied with the service, please feel free to leave a tip.
What about meals?
Breakfast is complimentary. Dinner can be provided at Rs. 650 per person for non-veg and Rs.550 per person for veg. Food is not allowed in the bedrooms and can only be consumed in the dining room. Guests are allowed to cook and consume vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food.
What is the kitchen equipped with?
The kitchen is equipped with refrigerator, oven, microwave, gas stove and water purifier. The utensils are sufficient to cook a simple meal. Crockery and cutlery are available for 12 people.
How often can I expect turndown service?
When you arrive, you will find a set of fresh linen laid out for you. Linen is changed upon request to avoid wastage of water caused by unnecessary laundering. Please do let the caretaker know whenever you wish to have your bed sheets or towels changed! While we do ensure the space is clean and comfortable for you, being a home, it may not mimic the feel of a hotel. However, if there is any lapse in terms of cleanliness, please inform the caretaker, and we would also appreciate you bringing it to our notice. We take your feedback very seriously, and take immediate actions to resolve your concerns.
Is Wi-Fi offered?
Although subject to network availability, WiFi is offered here. Cellular network can be weak. The WiFi accessibility is limited to certain areas of the space.
Is power backup available?
Power backup is not available at Northwood Cottage.
Any additional amenities and services available that I should know about?
During winters, heater can be provided at an additional cost of Rs.500 per day. Laundry services are also available at an additional cost.
What activities can I indulge in at the place?
While the most important thing about your time here will be spending quality time with your loved ones in a beautiful and private space, the following activities may add a touch of entertainment to the experience: Play card and board games - guaranteed, endless fun! Gym after 3 PM. Carry a good read to enjoy peacefully. Swing to your heart’s content and relive childhood memories. Soothe your eyes with the beautiful views around.
What activities can I indulge in around here?
Visit the Ridge of Shimla. Go for shopping at the Mall Road and Lakkar Bazaar. Explore the tranquillity of Kufri. Embrace the beauty of Green Valley. Capture a panoramic view of the majestic nature from Kiala forest. Relive history at Kuthar Fort.
HOUSE RULES FAQs:
Will I be asked for my ID?
All guests should keep at least one government authorized ID with them. The caretaker may request to see them when you check in.
Is alcohol allowed here?
Yes - eat, drink and be merry! However, please ensure you and your group stay absolutely safe. We also trust our guests to enjoy a happy high without indulging in drunken misbehaviour of any kind!
Is smoking allowed here?
Yes - smoking outdoors is allowed here. Smoking indoors is not permitted.
Are drugs allowed here?
No. We promptly report the use of drugs or any other type of illegal activity to the police, and they tend to offer an alternate accommodation that is not quite as pleasant as this lovely home. We would not recommend it at all!
Is loud music allowed here?
Yes - you are allowed to play loud music and party it up! There are no restrictions on the timings either.
Are unmarried couples allowed to stay here?
Yes, they are. As long as they’re adults, have valid IDs, and are in no way associated with illegal activities - we’re good!
Is the stay safe for those who identify as LGBTQ?
Yes, it is. We know gender identity is spread across a spectrum, and of course, love is love ♥
Are there any areas of the house that access is restricted to?
Access is restricted to certain parts of the house.
Can I entertain additional day visitors as my guests while I stay here?
In general, this is not permitted. However, on request, within reasonable limits and with prior permission, entertaining guests may be allowed. Please let the team know details such as number of guests and approximate time of visit well in advance. Visitors would have to carry valid IDs. There may be an extra charge associated with entertaining guests.
What is the general code of conduct expected from guests?
We expect our guests to have a lot of fun! This goes most smoothly when everyone is considerate of others around them. We do train the caretakers to resolve any concerns efficiently, but if you still face any issues, we request you to connect with us, and our team will promptly help. We trust you to treat the staff and any other people around with respect.
When can I be sure my booking is confirmed?
Your booking is 100% confirmed only after you’ve made the full payment and received an email confirming your stay in response.
How can I make the payment?
You can pay online, or connect with a Vista representative offline regarding bank details.
What is the cancellation policy?
For long weekends and peak dates, we are unable to offer a refund.For all other dates, if you must cancel your booking, we offer:a full refund if the cancellation is made more than 14 days before your stay. a 50% refund if the cancellation is made less than 14 days but more than a week before your stay. We are unable to offer a refund if the cancellation is made within a week of your stay.
How do I pay for additional services?
Most additional services will be paid for in cash at the property. Our representative will be able to share more details regarding the mode of payment for specific services offered here.
How do I pay the security deposit and how do I get it back?
You can pay the security deposit along with the rest of the booking amount. If the number of guests staying does not exceed the number of guests booked for, and if the check-in and check-out times are adhered to, the amount will be refunded to you via a simple link. This will be done within 3 working days from the check-out date.